Vishuddha ChakraHealth & Wellness — By Rohan Apte on July 23, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Vishuddha chakra is the fifth chakra located at the neck region near the spine and is associated with the element ether/ akasha. Vishuddha chakra controls our ability to hear and speak! As mentioned earlier, the chakras are made up of petals, with an alphabet on each petal. These alphabets make a language. The functioning of these chakras depends on our lifestyle, preferences, references, priorities and choices. As each petal represents an alphabet, it is extremely important to use our words with utmost care.
The word ‘vishuddha’ means absolute purity! A pure state of mind and body keeps us physically healthy and youthful. Vishuddha chakra is made up of 16 petals. A simple lifestyle, free of any kind of bindings and a clean mind helps in the proper functioning of the Vishuddha chakra.
Signs that indicate the proper functioning of Vishuddha Chakra:
- A healthy physique with good resistance power
- A positive frame of mind
- A good personality
- The ability to influence people by the correct usage of words
- Possessing the art of listening
- Improper functioning of this chakra may lead to:
- Loss of appetite
- Low resistance level against infections
- Inability to speak and express oneself
- Alienation from the outside world
- And improper functioning of the thyroid glands leading to obesity and infertility
Pranayam and yogasanas play a very important role in understanding the chakras and keeping them fit. Practising ‘sarvangasana, halasana, karna peedasana’ helps in maintaining a healthy state of the Vishuddha chakra.
Practising pranayam helps in oxygen circulation (prana) not only throughout the body but also through all the three channels (ida nadi, pinagala nadi and sushumna nadi). Meditation helps us to enjoy and experience the precious joys of kundalini’s journey from the Muladhara chakra to Sahasrara chakra.