Swadishthana chakraHealth & Wellness — By Rohan Apte on July 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Swadishthana chakra is the second chakra located slightly above Muladhara chakra at the tail bone. Swadishthana chakra is associated with the element- water and is responsible to give us the sense of taste. Though we taste with our tongue the signals of taste are controlled by this chakra. The earth would have no meaning without water and hence the functioning of Muladhara chakra is directly controlled by Swadishthana chakra.
With the shape of the crescent moon, Swadishthan chakra has got 6 petals; the main objective of this chakra would be to:
- Control the sense of taste.
- Responsible for research, growth and development.
- Control the sexual desires and reproductive system.
- Controlling the memories stored in the Muladhara chakra.
As mentioned above, giving rise to different questions like why? what? how? when? who? are generated from this chakra and hence the evolution of humans!
But to be obsessed with the answers to these questions won’t take us anywhere and we may get lost in these questions and wander away from happiness and mental peace and life may end up being a question in itself!
It’s of extreme difficulty to raise the ‘kundalini’ above this chakra as it controls the sexual desires. unfortunately such desires are difficult to contain and hence concentration is adversely affected which in turn affects the living.
There are ways to strengthen the Swadishthan:
- Pranayam: Anuloma vilom and Bhastrika prove to be very helpful.
- Yogasanas: Sitting in Padmasana or Ardha padmasana, Sukasana helps in keeping body postures correct and can give better results when teamed up with Pranayam.
A silent and calm state of mind is always important to find better ways to live life. This state can be achieved by correct body postures with the help of yogasanas and pranayam which further helps achieve a better state of concentration which is the main factor for keeping Swadishthan chakra healthy.