Summer Cocktails: Beat the heat!Recipes — By Editor on April 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM
It’s summer time and the best way to beat the heat is with some cool and yummy cocktails. The Punekar got in touch with Pravin Shetty from MiAMi at Pune Marriott and Convention Centre as he lists out some easy to make cocktails for us.
Summer cocktails are all about drinks which look colourful and are refreshing. Citric and fresh fruits along with light spirits like vodka, white rum are Pravin works with. Further, Pravin believe that the best option is to use fresh fruits or fresh ingredients instead of using flavored liqueurs or any artificial syrup.
Another aspect to keep in mind is that the cocktails should consists of citrus flavor like lime mint, basil, kiwi fruit and orange. Fresh watermelon, kiwi, oranges, lime will keep one from getting dehydrated.
If that’s not all watermelon is one of the best fruits and also helps one stay away from sunburns or skin getting tanned.
If one carefully looks at tropical countries like Mexico, Caribbean and India where the weather is too hot, lime is used instead of lemon as lime has more citric acid than a lemon which refreshes one in a hot climate.
So dish out some yummy cocktails and sip away to beat the heat!
MIAMI ICED TEA
White rum 20ml
Lime juice 15ml
Cranberry juice 30 ml
- Add all the ingredients along with ice in a cocktail shaker and shake it for 10 seconds.
- Pour it in a tall glass and top it up with lemonade (sprite or 7 up)
- Garnish with orange wedge or orange slice.
Fresh watermelon chunks 5 – 6 nos
Fresh basil leaves 2-3 nos,
Vodka or white rum 60ml.
Watermelon syrup 5ml
- Add all the ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Add ice to it and shake it hard for 10 seconds.
- Pour it in a hurricane glass and top it up with ginger ale.
You can also replace basil with fresh mint leaves.
NOTE: You can omit the spirit and turn your drink into a mocktail.
White rum 45ml,
Fresh lime juice 30ml,
1 teaspoon powdered sugar or castor sugar.
- Keep martini glass for chilling, this drink need to be served chilled.
- Add all ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Add ice to the mixing glass and shake it for 10 seconds and double strain it in martini glass.
NOTE: For chilling martini glass, add some ice cubes to the martini glass and pour water in it, by the time you add your ingredients and your drink is ready the martini glass is chilled.
VARIATIONS: You can make this with any fresh fruit like strawberry or kiwi fruit. Add 4 fresh strawberries to the mixing glass and muddle it lightly. The rest of the recipe is just like classic daiquiri. Remember, in strawberry daiquiri the martini glass needs to be sugar rimmed.