My Pune: There’s something about everything hereViews — By Trupti Shetty on June 23, 2011 at 8:00 AM
It’s easy to take your first love for granted, especially the one in question is Pune, the city you’re born and brought up at. It’s only when you’re back to the city after a professional or a personal hiatus, do you really learn to appreciate it.
After a two year stint in Mumbai when I returned, the sudden influx of companies and people flocking from different cities, the crazy commutes and high cost was all quite unsettling. They all can sometimes bog down the reasons you fell for this town in the first place. And then, out of the blue you discover a old bench in the park where you shared your first sweet nothings or reignite the easy camaraderie of your old friends in your favorite hangout, you fall head over heels in love with your beloved city all over again.
There are umpteen reasons to fall in love with Pune. But for me, these are the 15 reasons that I would like to pinpoint about. Here they go:-
- I love the pace of the city. If you want it fast, you can have it fast, if you want it slow you can have it slow baby. It’s like you’re driving a car and you can actually control the speed of your life, unlike the Mumbai mayhem where you have no option but to join the madcap rush.
- While the city is emerging as an eminent IT city going through a modern makeover, at the same time it is still grounded, retaining its erstwhile charm. Especially the Peth area in the city, it seems to have fought through time to be just the way it was 50 years ago.
- The city is a treasure trove for art connoisseurs. From dance to music and paintings, the city is always thriving with events that are creating a successful fusion of fashion, music and art. On one hand it’s promoting new forms of art but at the same time walking miles in preserving traditional art as well. Which other city can boast of such culture?
- Mumbai may have Bollywood but Pune has its international cinema. Yup, we’re more of the chic kinds who guarantee a classy audio-visual treat for movie lovers! Be it PIFF, Asian film festival and not to forget NFAI, these platforms are always showcasing brilliant work of international and Indian directors.
- Just going through a bad break up? No problem, there are loads of places where you can bawl your eyes out with oodles of comfort food and hours to kill. From cheesy delights in Arthur’s Theme to chai and bun maska in Cafe Good Luck and not to forget the yummy omelettes and patties in Vohuman. This city has loads to offer.
- Talking of Pune and not mentioning important institutions is sacrilege. No we’re not talking about the prestigious list of colleges like Fergusson, BMCC, COEP, Symbiosis and the likes but the most important of all; Vaishali and Roopali. For the past fifty decades every generation of my family has turned up to these places regularly and that too with full attendance to their credit. They are either relishing the delectable upma over a cup of coffee or non-stop rambling about their lives. Anyways just having loads of fun!
- Pune has a rich historical past and there are lot of monuments within the city, narrating the story first-hand, taking you to a time where action was not just limited to films. From Sinhagad to Lal Mahal and Ketkar museum, there are hordes of places that you can visit. Though they all would have won more brownie points if they were better maintained.
- Now the city has different aspects and one of them as reported by many paranormal believers is that the city is haunted which kind of adds a mysterious edge to it. Of course, the Shaniwarwada story is undoubtedly iconic but how can one forget the Hakamaari scare? It even had the elders shaking with fear. Now who doesn’t like dash of suspense in their lives? I know I do and Pune is the perfect place to have oodles of it!
- Did you know Pune is a training ground for dirt bikers? You don’t believe me, just get on the roads of the city and you will be automatically trained to be one. The dodging and the immediate turns in the quaint lanes of the city will let you effortlessly drive and ride in any goddamn city in the world! That’s some learning you will treasure for life!
- Planning a quick getaway around the city? Fret not, just hop into your car and drive on to the different havens located in and around the city which could vary from 20 minutes to 2 hours.
- You can celebrate being a shopaholic in Pune! They have loads of shopping malls as well as tucked away hideouts like Camp, Koregaon Park and even Tulsibaug where you can strike fantastic bargains.
- Looking for a night of fun? The city has about 50 watering holes in every part of the city. There are of course the new and very elite ones like Stone Water Grill and Pasha but at the same time pubs like Ten Thousand Oaks still retain the old magic.
- If fitness is your agenda then Pune is the place to be. The city hosts cycling trips, trekking tours and has a wide range of fitness clubs that offer a whole lot of activities to work out those piling calories. Not to forget the iconic Iyengar Yoga Institute that has people coming from all over the world to learn the art of yoga from the Master himself!
- If there is a cause that you feel close to, just voice it loud and there will be ample of people supporting it in this city. Punekars as people are socially aware and moralistic and if they feel somebody or something has been wronged, they will make sure your voices are heard out.
- The best thing about the city is that it has no hang-ups and lets you just be the way you want to be. No wonder people who flank from all over the world to settle in this city and absorb its cultural richness.
This list is not exhaustive. So, do share your reasons with us why you love Pune and the pride of being a Punekar and we will add it to our list.