Top 6 Fitness MythsHealth & Wellness — By Abhimanyu Sable on August 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM
With so much health and fitness information coming from different sources, it’s no wonder people are in a state of confusion. What does it take to get fit? Will crunches get rid of my spare tire? What’s the best way to lose weight? These are the type of questions I hear on a daily basis.
So I have listed the top six fitness myths which separate fact from fiction. Read on…
Here are top six fitness myths
1. Women who lift weights will get bulky muscles: Women will never get bulky like men. Women do not have male hormone testosterone to put on muscle mass.
2. Spot reducing is possible: There is nothing called spot reducing on abdominals or hips. Reduction in inches or weight is possible with sound exercise program and healthy eating.
3. No pain, no gain: There is no need to exercise till it pains. Pain is not the criteria for a good exercise program. If you workout till it pains you might land up injuring yourself.
4. Exercise requires a hefty time commitment. Exercise requires only 3 hours out of 168 hours in one week to give you beneficial effect.
5. If you exercise, you can eat whatever you want: Follow an 80:20 principle 80 percent of time eat healthy and 20 percent of time indulge yourself in your favorite foods.
6. There’s a magic bullet (quick fix) out there somewhere. If weight loss or losing inches is the only objective of exercise you will always fail in long run, Exercise to feel good, feel the benefits which are not seen, like feeling of well being, increase in energy and confidence.
Abhimanyu Sable is a Founder MD & CEO of India’s fastest growing fitness chain ABS Fitness & Wellness Club. He has been in the field of fitness for the last 20 years and has successfully trained more than 20,000 people. He is also a Gold standard certified health fitness instructor from the American College of Sports Medicine. He currently is the owner of 10 clubs across the country and a name to reckon with in the world of fitness.