Sainiks paint a portrait of Balasaheb Thackeray in blood on his birthdayNews — By The Desk on January 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM
Mid-day: To bring back the glory of the Shiv Sena that took a beating after the elections, local Sainiks have planned to infuse ‘blood’ into their campaign.
Nearly 250 people came forward to donate blood that was used to paint a portrait of the ailing Sena chief Balasaheb Thackeray. The portrait is planned as a gift for the leader on his birthday tomorrow.
Ganesh Jindum, an artist from Ahmednagar, took over four hours to complete the portrait. Balasaheb Bhamre, the corporator from Parvati who organised the blood painting campaign, said, “The purpose of making the portrait in blood was to express our love for Balasaheb and to let him know that we are ready to give our blood for him. We will be taking the portrait to his residence on Jan 24 and will hand it over to him.”
Bhamre’s son Tushar, who is also a Shiv Sainik, said, “This programme received an overwhelming response.”
However, medicos across the city feel that they could have paid a better tribute had they donated blood for a noble cause. Incidentally, one pint of blood can save up to three lives.
Dr Sanjay Jadhav, chief of State Blood Transfusion Council, said, “In Maharashtra, 84 per cent are voluntary donors while the remaining 16 per cent are replacement donors (relatives and friends). Efforts are on to replace the 16 per cent with voluntary donors so that we do not have to ask relatives and friends of patients to get blood when there is an emergency.”
Dr Avinash Bhondve, former president of Indian Medical Association, said, “I am sure their leader would have been happier if instead of using the blood on the canvas it was collected for saving lives.”